Image Map

5/2/13

Runners vs. Cyclists: Can't We All Just Get Along

One of the things that makes the DC metro area great are all of the fantastic places to run. From the WO&D trail to the C&O Canal and Hains Point, there is something for every runner. Of course, these designated areas are not without their hazards. Namely, cyclists.

Just yesterday, I was running along Memorial Bridge when a cyclist knocked into me with his handlebars! I yelled after him and he half-heartedly offered a quick, "Sorry" as he rode off with his helmet askew. Now, I'm the wife of avid cyclist so I don't want to lump all riders together but this is not the first time I've had a close encounter with the biking kind. Over the years, I've had cyclists buzz by going way to fast, cut dangerously in front of me and completely ignore the STOP and YIELD signs at road crossings. It's frustrating, but I've realized I can only stay aware and control my own actions.




Since we really do need to share the road with cyclists, I've come up with a list of etiquette/safety tips for your next run:
  • If you're listening to music while running, keep one head phone out to listen for people coming up  behind you.
  • Stick to the right side of the path so that cyclists or other runners have space to pass.
  • If you're running with a group, be no more than two people wide and switch to single file when someone is coming the other way.  
  • When running with your child, make sure they know to always stay to the right. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a kid dart across the path into oncoming traffic.
  • If you need to stop, move off of the path.
  • Wave or thank someone who alerts you they are passing, this let's them know you got the message.
  • Stay off of your phone. Just like driving and talking or texting, it's just not safe. Plus, isn't part of the reason you went for a run to get away from the phone?
  • When running with a dog, keep him/her on a short leash and to the right of you.
Do you have any rules of the road you follow or think cyclists need to follow? I'd love for you to share them!



1 comment:

  1. Totally know what you are talking about. That has happened to me too. I never have both headphones in if I am running alone...always have one out. Ha, have you really seen people running while using their phone??? I guess I'm not surprised!

    ReplyDelete

 
>