Image Map

4/26/13

Race Packet Pick-Up Party

Despite the fact that packet pick-ups usually involve little more than moving through queues organized by last name or race number to pick up the branded bag full of random samples, your bib, a handful of safety pins and what is usually a mediocre (except for Pacers events) commemorative shirt, I'm always excited to pick up my bib. It reminds me of the day uniforms were distributed for soccer or basketball or even flag squad. With a uniform or, in this case, a bib, the event seems more real and I feel like a legit runner as opposed to an former band geek trying to fit in with the sporty girls.

This morning I headed to Georgetown to pick up my packet for the Nike Women Half Marathon (NWM), check out the expotique and, of course shop at the brand new Nike Store on M St. The first sign of the event was  literally a sign hanging on the side of the Nike Store that read "We Run DC".  As the official hashtag of of the NWM, it wasn't a surprising but what made it very cool was that the sign was comprised of the names of all of the runners.


As you would imagine, the Nike branding didn't end there. I have to admit, I'm a huge fan of the green, blue and white palette and the fabulous female runner silhouettes used in all the various promotions like on the side of the expotique tent.


Once I got down to the Georgetown waterfront, the first order of business was to pick up my packet. The whole process was very smooth. I was in and out with my drawstring bag within 5 minutes. What was in the swag bag, you ask? Freebies from Paul Mitchell, Somersault and BareMinerals along with my bib, corral wristband, a "We Run DC"  hair tie and a map of the route (including a call out for the "Bureau of Engraving and Painting"?) The one key item missing? A t-shirt! Ina  twist on tradition, the shirt will be handed out at the finish line.You gotta earn it ladies!!

Inside the expotique tent was unlike anything I've ever experienced at a running expo. The over the top venue included everything a running girl could want. From a NUUN tasting bar to massage chairs to Bare Minerals make-up consultations and Paul Mitchell hair styling to a nifty map of the course, gait assessments and sport bra fittings the expotique had it all. Of course, there were also plenty of opportunities to check out Nike gear including shoes, studio wraps, watches and the intriguing FUEL band.


Each runner was given a code to try to unlock one of the three glass cases of Nike sneaks. While I was not a winner, winner, chicken dinner, I did overhear two ladies unlock the cases! There was a smaller prize to be had for anyone who could show the current mileage on their Nike Running app.



And that's how I ended up with my second bracelet of the day. Number three would come later as I checked out with entirely too much NWM gear from the Nike Store.


The piece de resistance was an over-sized "WE RUN" sign facing the potomac. If anyone in DC wasn't aware that Nike was in town for the weekend, they certainly will be now!  With all of my gear, not to mention training, I'm ready to go for Sunday! Because on Sunday........





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
>